Monday, November 15, 2021

Setting up Xmonad on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon: Bluetooth and Screenshots

Configuring Bluetooth

Controlling Bluetooth is relatively straightforward; we just need another systray icon. A little Googling suggested the easiest tool to use for this purpose would be blueman, so I got that set up.

sudo apt-get install blueman

Then, I added to the ~/.xsessionrc file:

blueman-applet &

This put a Bluetooth icon in my system tray, which has relatively straightforward configuration options.

Systray, showing the Bluetooth icon

The Bluetooth systray icon dropdown


Connecting headphones works fine.


Screenshots

Screenshotting could probably be made simpler, but I've decided to just use ImageMagick.

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

Once installed, the import command captures from the screen. To select the area I'm capturing:

import filename.png

To capture the whole screen:

import -window root filename.png

I can even delay a few seconds before capturing:

sleep 3; import -window root filename.png

I could probably find a GUI tool for this, but honestly, it doesn't get much simpler than this ImageMagick solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment